Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Building an axle puller- Source for hardened threaded rod/screws, and through-hole threaded material for same?

On 2010-04-23, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

Are you reading that right?

What I see at $16.90 is labeled ".10-24" or 1/10"-24, based on
the ".25-20" being 1/4"-20

Oops - you're right. It is quite clearly .10 - they are all decimal'ly
sized. Having never seen a .10-32 size, my subconscious was sure that
it was 10-32 and my conscious went along G. Being such a unusual size
does explain some of the cost difference, but still ...

But it is such an *uncommon* size -- especially with 24 or 32
TPI that I tend to not believe it. I am more likely to believe that
whoever wrote the web page did not really understand thread sizes, and
especially the difference between number sizes and fractional inch
sizes.

I think that if you are that interested, you should call them
and talk to someone who can be clear about the sizes. :-)

Well, I have to admit that the web page is pretty clear, if you're
willing to read what's actually there G.

It is clear -- but hard to believe. That is why I suggest that
you talk to someone there who can explain what is *really* meant.
(Maybe it will prompt them to fix the web page. How many people do a
search for a 1.250x8 thread instead of a 1-1/4x8? It probably loses
them a lot of potential customers.

Thanks,
Bob

BTW - your reply is a good example of what sets RCM apart from the
riffraff of Usenet. You replied "Are you reading that right?", when I
clearly was NOT reading it right. On so many NG's it would have been
"You dumb ****, READ the ****ing listing, it says _.10_. Get it? POINT 10."

I see no point in insulting anyone. Errors like that are easy
enough to make -- and if the font size on the browser is small enough,
you might not even *see* the '.' before the number. (I tend to run my
browser at 150% magnification most of the time, and use a fairly large
monitor as well.

I'm sure that I've made enough similar mistakes in my life --
and it is not yet over, even. (I hope :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564