Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gluing silicon door seal to steel - sports car

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
NP has the concept that the glue is required just to make up for the
poor attachment of the silicone rubber to the steel channel that is
there to hold it. I'm not sure if the channel is poorly designed or
the seal poorly made but the attachment needs reinforcing either way.

Is it glued elsewhere? If it is just designed to push into a channel then
it would be designed to pull out too.

There is no way that I want a permanent bond, and what bonding
material is used should be capable of being removed in due course if
the seals age again and need further replacement. If it wasn't for
the difficulty of application, hot wax appeals.

Windscreens are glued in these days - but have to be capable of
replacement.

We do have in Edinburgh a guy who restores old cars and my fall back
is to give him a phone and get his opinion. Ironically he's just had
the roof to re-line it and I really don't quite know why Her-In-Doors
didn't ask him when she collected it - the nett result is I then get
the grief for failing for once to be able to do the repair.

Black Bostik was a favourite on older cars.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.