Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Gluing silicon door seal to steel - sports car

On 23 Apr, 17:27, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:46:25 -0700, robgraham wrote:
My wife's Mazda MX5 hard top had the door seals replaced a year ago.
They are meant to grip onto a steel rib. *They didn't fit all that well
when I did the job and now they are tending to drop off fairly
frequently. *Do I use ordinary silicone to glue them on or is there some
specific silicone glue?

You mean they don't use metal clips which form nice moisture traps and
let the car body rust to buggery any more? :-)

Well guys - we don't really seem to be that much further forward, but
many thanks all those who have made suggestions.

NP has the concept that the glue is required just to make up for the
poor attachment of the silicone rubber to the steel channel that is
there to hold it. I'm not sure if the channel is poorly designed or
the seal poorly made but the attachment needs reinforcing either way.
There is no way that I want a permanent bond, and what bonding
material is used should be capable of being removed in due course if
the seals age again and need further replacement. If it wasn't for
the difficulty of application, hot wax appeals.

We do have in Edinburgh a guy who restores old cars and my fall back
is to give him a phone and get his opinion. Ironically he's just had
the roof to re-line it and I really don't quite know why Her-In-Doors
didn't ask him when she collected it - the nett result is I then get
the grief for failing for once to be able to do the repair.

Rob