Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Cox Communications drops Usenet

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2010-04-22, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

Hmm ... I don't consider *any* browser to be a true newsreader.
Have either of you ever tried something written from scratch as a
newsreader?

It is part of the email client in the old Netscape. The browser
itself is now mostly useless but I've got over a decade of selected,
archived email and newsgroup messages.

What format does it archive the email and usenet messages in?

[ ... ]

I use XNews to recover multi part schematics and photos of old
radios, but prefer the way the older Netscape displays messages. The
biggest problem with changing the way I read usenet is the loss of the
archive, without converting thousands of messages to text files, or
printing them out.

Hmm ... all newsreaders and e-mail clients which I have used
save articles and e-mail in plain text files. If the browser does not,
that is another reason to not use it.

The mail and newsreader component of Netscape Communicator, Netscape
Messenger *is not* a browser, it is a separate component. Netscape
Navigator is the browser. Netscape Composer (HTML editor) is also a
component of the Netscape Communicator package. I've tried a number of
other newsreaders and none of them handle as well as Netscape Messenger
for browsing newsgroups.