Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default RCD Rating and Cooker MCB Location

TheScullster
wibbled on Friday 23 April 2010 15:02

Hi all

I am looking at the options for reconfiguring a Clipsal CU with Hager MCBs
and RCD.
Currently the box is split with 7 non-RCD circuits and 3 power circuits
protected by one 63A RCD.

To comply with the new regs (17th) I was considering moving the RCD 2
units to the right, to make room for the cooker and kitchen lights on the
RCD side of the box.

So here come the questions:

Is moving the cooker MCB well away from the incomer OK - traditionally the
cooker tends to be the first "user".

I've heard of people who like to put it near the incomer, but if you look at
the size (CSA) of the busbar, it think it is irrelevant.

There is a case for spacing out RCBOs (I have big current, small, small, gap
where possible) as RCBOs do heat up a bit more than MCBs in theory - not
seen any proof, but if possible, it does no harm.

With 3 power circuits a cooker feed (all 32A rated) and a lighting feed,
do I need to uprate the RCD?

I'll refrain on that one as it will involve digging out teh OnSite Guide and
doing a diversity calc and I'm only in for an orange juice between clearing
the garden :_)

The power circuits are upstairs ring, downstairs ring and kitchen in 4 bed
house - nothing too far out of the ordinary.

TIA

Phil

--
Tim Watts