Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mini drill press for kids

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:35:37 -0500, Ignoramus10488
wrote:

My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

Crom Iggy..the kid is 9, not 5.

Get him a small chicom drill press and teach him how to change speeds.
Keep the belt loose. Something 1/4 hp would be about right. Wont take
off his fingers, but will hurt him enough to teach him to keep his
fingers out of moving machinery he was told not to touch when running.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost