Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Soil Compactor Bit?

On 4/22/2010 6:48 PM, Jerry Wass wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

Mass is going to be an issue.
I wonder if steel 'rigid metal conduit' would make a better 'pipe' than
plain black pipe, considering weight and the ability to use a larger
diameter, boosting crumpling resistance.

I think I just convinced myself there.

--Winston

You're on the right track---The added mass will cut down the impact
stroke to very little---The length will absorb most of the force from a
chipping hammer & turn it into heat.

The workable solution would be a 2 or 3" plate on a short chisel stub
and then get down in the hole with it..---welds may not last long
either.Jerry

I'd like to test both those options. I guess that if the sheer
amount of steel in the RMC was about the same as in one of my
chisel bits, I shouldn't have too much power lost in the
conduit.
I figure that either of these methods would be more effective
and easier on my back than my current method.

The good news is that the tamper would be very portable and
easy to reinforce or repair if necessary.

Thanks, Jerry.

--Winston

--

Gary was a liar, a thief, a scoundrel and a psychologist.
He was the most redundant man I ever met.