Posted to alt.home.repair
jeff_wisnia[_4_] jeff_wisnia[_4_] is offline

Default Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

Mike wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:17 pm, Joe wrote:

On Apr 22, 6:33 am, Mike wrote:

snip
Is this fixable, or is a replacement disposal
the only viable way to go?
snip

Replace is your only option. However....
Totally agree with opinions here that the disposer is a useless piece
of hardware. When our last one gave out some years ago, it was not
replaced and SWMBO says it is not missed. She would rather have a more
sanitary sink and use the garbage can for what it was intended.
So redoing the plumbing to have a simpler lifestyle is your other
option. Think of it as your contribution to Earth Day.

Joe

I have to wonder if putting food down the disposal is any worse for
the earth than putting it in the garbage where it will sit in a land-
fill. I thought a disposal WAS earth friendly (excessive water use
notwithstanding).

Anyhow, I thought about this idea of NOT having a disposal while home
for lunch (this was easy since my broken disposal is the one under
discussion). I stood at the sink with a bowl of soft Cheerios and
milk that would normally have gone down the disposal. Seems like a
hassle to pour out the milk and try to keep the cereal in the bowl so
I can then put it in the garbage. In this case, I dumped it in the
other sink bowl and just smashed the Cheerios down through the
basket.

Looks like I'll be watching some videos on disposal replacement.
There are a ton of seemingly good ones available.

Thanks for all the replies, folks!

Mike

Yes, I think you're right Mike, replacement is the best bet for you.

If it happened to me, I might just waste some time disassembling the
disposer to see if I could chuck the motor armature in my lathe and
drill and tap the end of its shaft to accept a piece of threaded rod to
replace the busted off stud. But. judging from your OP, that's likely
not something you could do.

Jeff (With time to kill and a penchant for gaining enjoyment from fixing
the unfixable.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)