Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Picture tube degaussing

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message
Hi!

Have your friend hide the magnets from the kids. The internal
degauss should take care of the remaining spots provided it
works.

Sometimes it isn't stout enough to do the job. Some years back, my
younger brothers managed to put a faint "blob" on a MAG Innovision 17"
CRT. No amount of degaussing with the monitor's built in coil would do
the job. Even though the coil came on at every power up, it just
didn't seem to have the oomph. Operating it manually through the
monitor's menu did not help.

Being busy at the time, I took a quick look and decided that they'd
damaged the monitor's picture tube. And then, after a while, I managed
to acquire a large electric bulk eraser, which I eventually decided to
try using as a degaussing wand for this monitor.

It worked brilliantly. I started from several feet away by turning it
on and moved very slowly toward the CRT itself. Then I ran it slowly
around the CRT face, maintaining several inches worth of distance.
When I was satisfied, I moved away the same several feet and shut the
coil off.

William

Back in't' day, we wuz taught to have the TV switched on, and go around the
four sides of the CRT using circular motions, and to keep those motions
going all the same way. Then to come up to the CRT face, and again use
circular motions, again keeping them in the same direction, and spiraling
slowly away from the face. At a distance of a couple of feet, when the field
from the coil was no longer having any noticeable effect on the picture, the
coil was quickly turned through 90 degrees, and powered off.

As to what caused the problem on this particular TV, could be all sorts of
things. One of the favourites, as I recall, was customers switching off the
vacuum cleaner when near to the TV. You can also get suddenly appearing
purity patches from shadowmask displacement when the spring expansion mounts
move out of place, or spot welds on the shadowmask frame give out. However,
mechanical issues such as these, would not reasonably be expected to cure by
manually degaussing, so I would say that the problem here is magnetic.

Arfa