Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_2_] Sjouke Burry[_2_] is offline

Default Detectron Geiger Counter

Chris F. wrote:
I recently bought an old Detectron model DG-7 geiger counter. This is from
the early 50's and has three 1U5 tubes inside. Power requirements are 90
volts for the B+, two "D" cells for the tube filaments, and a 4.5 volt bias
supply.
I went over the unit, replacing a selenium rectifier and testing the
tubes. The unit powers up, but generates a steady stream of pulses on it's
own, even with the probe detached. The frequency of the oscillation varies
with the range selector knob. The probe is working - when brought near a
source (a bunch of vaseline marbles) it will produce extra clicks in
addition to the stray ones generated by the unit.
I've checked all the other components - resistors, capacitors, etc. The
only thing I couldn't check is a very small tube, which looks like a
cold-cathode rectifier of some kind. I've also tried varying the B+ and bias
voltages. And I can't find a schematic, which makes matters worse.
I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

When the b+ becomes to high, the gas-discharge tubes start
oscillating, producing a steady stream of pulses.

So start with lowering b+ to zero, and then increase, until
either back at 90 volts, or the pulses re-appear.
At that point lower the voltage a bit, and re-check with your
radiation source.
Also there should be a capacitor across the tubes somewhere,
If so, check their quality(leakage and value).