Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Milling speed question

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 21, 6:18 pm, RBnDFW wrote:
A friend is coming over tomorrow night so we can mill some BMW calipers
for his Porsche. Now, I'm no machinist, I guess I'm more of a machine
collector. I just don't want to mess up the calipers, and I'd also like
to not look like a klutz G

So, we need to mill .125" off the mounting ears on these iron calipers.
I'm guess these are some sort of cast steel.
I'll be using most likely a Enco Mill-drill, possibly a Burke MVN if I
can get it wired.
I have a 1.125 indexible face mill, with two triangular carbide inserts.

What speed should I run it at, and what depth of cut?

I checked and it is cast iron. These came off a BMW 320I, std model.

I would probably take a pass at about .070 depth of cut. Then measure
it and make the next cut to get it to size. It sounds as if you have
a very small amount of metal to remove. If that is the case just use
a low speed and do not worry about the optimum speed to do the job in
the least amount of time.

Yes carbide does give you a better surface finish if you have a higher
speed, but he is doing this on a Mill Drill. So I would use a slow
speed.

Still OK with carbide, right?

An 1/8" I would use a grinder or file. Depending if it does not have to be
a precision flat surface.

It does have to be precision. This surface locates the caliper in
relation to the rotor, so it has to be parallel and flat