Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Building an axle puller- Source for hardened threaded rod/screws, and through-hole threaded material for same?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:43:00 -0700, the infamous JR North
scrawled the following:

Oh, OK. Subaru used pressed-in hub/rotor assy only through '88 or so.
The later ones, you just use an air hammer with a blunt nose driver.
Take off the tie rod, separate the lower ball joint, Hold the rotor, and
drive it out.

If you're reusing the axle bearing, be gentle with the drive-out.
If not, don't worry. Instead of a blunt nosed driver, since most of
their axles had dimples in the end of the shaft, I used a pointed
driver. The 20" punch worked well, allowing me to hold the hammer in
my gut, for leverage, and the rotor with my free hand.

I did mostly Hodnas, Toyonkas, and Dachsunds.

--
"I think you very well may see a revolution in this country and
it will not be a revolution to overthrow the government," he said.