Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] PlainBill47@yahoo.com is offline

Default Samsung TFT 204b: extreme slow response

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:01:11 -0700 (PDT), thomas albrecht
wrote:

Dear all,

My Samsung 204B has a *very* long response time, black-white several
secs.. white-black ~0.5 sec. This happened instantly while in
operation, and persists ever since. Happens both on DVI and VGA, with
different graphic cards (NVIDIA GF 7600GS and ATI 7500) as well as
without any signal input at all, then showing the wandering "Check
signal cable" window. I opened the case, the caps look OK to me, no
bulging or leaking.

Here's a video showing the slow response. The graphics should be
updated instantly. Instead, it appears more like a fade-in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcwLBV3jxs

Any hints are greatly appreciated.
Thomas

While it isn't obvious, an LCD monitor breaks down into several
electronic sections. Power supply, inverter / backlight, logic
(signal processing) card, and LCD panel.

1. Check the output voltages of the power supply. Yes, I know the
caps look good, but a quick check of the actual voltages MIGHT pickup
a problem.

2. The logic card contains several voltage regulators to provide the
proper voltages for the processor and it's support components, and
often for the LCD panel. These are tyoically a three pin device with
tab. Byu Googling the part number on these devices you can determine
the output voltage. Verify those voltages. While it is unlikely an
incorrect output voltage would cause the symptoms you describe, it's
worth the try.

3. The LCD panel usually contains an electronics card (often conceled
under a metal cover) which generates the voltages and signals
necessary for the proper operation of the panel. I suspect one of
these voltages is missing. This is going to require a LOT of
detective work to analyse, so try the easier stuff first.

PlainBill