Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Maximum spacing of ceiling corregated metal.

stryped fired this volley in news:dc5f3ea9-c01e-
:

My trusses in garage are four foot on center. Is 4 foot on center ok
if I were to use 29 guage metal for an inside ceiling?

Nope. 29ga goes on 2' centers, max. In this case, we're not talking
about load-bearing capabilities, but vibration, flex, and NOISE.

29ga "corrugated" is flimsy, and will bounce and bang with ever closing
of a door, even on 2' centers.

I'm not sure, either, that you have nailed the term "corrugated metal".
4-rib standing-rib barn metal is not "corrugated metal", except in the
connotations of the term. Neither is 5-Vee roofing.

True corrugated metal is the wavy stuff formed in a basically sinusoidal
wave shape across its entire surface. Of all the types, this would be
the best for rigidity, but not in 29ga. It can be had (as can all the
ag-metal sidings) in as thick as 22ga. It can also be bought custom-cut
to length with only a tiny cutting fee.

In order of suitability (rigidity), I'd rank the three as Corrugated
Metal (most rigid), 4-rib standing-rib barn/roof metal, then 5-Vee "tin".

Watch yourself, Stryper. My dad taught me how to work with sheet metal
when I was a young teen. He told me, "Lloyd, there's only ONE secret to
working successfully with sheet metal: Don't bleed to death."

LLoyd