Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default Building an axle puller- Source for hardened threaded rod/screws, and through-hole threaded material for same?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:49:05 +0800, "Royston Vasey"
wrote:

"Dave__67" wrote in message
I could do a bit of searching and flailing about, but figured I'd get
the benefit of a similar effort by someone and improve the SNR at the
same time.

I'm looking for some hardened threaded rod or screws, about 12 inches
long or a bit longer, maybe about 3/4 of an inch to an inch thick,
along with steel sections threaded to take the screw.

Idea being, weld the through threaded piece to a home-made tool that
can be used to press axles out of hubs, etc etc. This would be similar
to a 3-hole axle puller except it would fit onto all five lugs like
the factory shop tool (subaru hubs are a bit prone to getting tweaked
out of shape with a 3-hole puller, hence the dealers get a nice 5-hole
puller).

If the threads are formed with an eye towards high axial load (my ball-
joint tool seems to have a pointed thread, maybe acme thread is good
too?) that will be a big benefit, of course.

I'm guessing Mcmaster may have the rod (maybe even hardened), but have
not seen a through-threaded section there in my travels. A big
threaded rod and coupler nut may do the trick, but hardened and with
proper thread type is my preference.

Thanks in advance-
Dave

Try any industrial fastener or engineering supply place. I've made/used many
pullers using 3/4" & 1" threaded rod. No idea on the thread pitch other than
its resonably fine.....

If he'll go to McMaster Carr then he can get grade b-7 threaded rod
which is as good or better than a grade 8 bolt.