Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Joshua Tree wood query

the trees grow near palmdale all over the place - look for one that has
fallen down

"tom koehler" wrote in
message net.net...
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 8:31:09 -0500, ebd wrote
(in message
):

On Apr 15, 12:55 pm, tom koehler
wrote:
The information plaque says there aee no growth rings. The cross
section of a trunk looks like a single homogeneous woody mass, and
feels
quite solid and woodlike.

Tom,

I specialized in Botany in undergrad and grad school. The trees you
are describing are monocotyledon. These have their vascular system
spread through the whole trunk in bundles. Other monocots are palms
(Arecaceae), screwpines (Pandanaceae), bananas (Musaceae), Yucca,
Aloe, Dracaena, and Cordyline.[3].

Dicotyledons (what we usually call wood) have the vascular cell types
seperated. There is a ring of cambium. Inside that ring are the
vascular types that carry water upward (heartwood). Outside the ring
of cambium are the living vascular elements that carry food downward
(sapwood).

THat's a very simple description, but ... Anyway, palm is turned
regulalry so I see no reason whay Joshua couldn't be. It would
probably turn similarly to palm.

Thanks for the info, and in a digestible form. I want a chunk of this
stuff,
but have not yet found a legal source.
tom koehler

--