Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gib Bogle[_2_] Gib Bogle[_2_] is offline

Default OT - callers at door.

sweetheart wrote:
I know this isn't DIY. Does anyone know how to deal with hawkers and
such who come to the door? I have had this three times in the last six
months. Each time these people claim they do not speak English (one
occasion claimed to be deaf!) and are toting wares ( dusters and towels)
or pictures of various kinds they want to sell me.

It scares me. I usually do not answer the door. I cannot afford to buy
the things anyway but if I get caught I am stuck. How do you deal with
this?

I don't want to sound prejudiced but I noticed this when I first moved
to my house 12 years ago. Then these people disappeared and now, since
the new recession they have returned. I just don't like it. My husband
must be equally afraid because he dealt with yesterdays caller and just
gave home a fiver to go away!

It's really very simple. You open the door, see some people you don't know, and
don't want to know (hawkers, religious nutters etc.), and you say "Not today,
thanks" and shut the door.