Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Way OT Baling wire?

In article , "Colbyt" wrote:

Excuse my ignorance. I thought combines stripped the seed from the harvest
and then baled the straw; an all in one process.

Nope. They strip the grain, dump it in a hopper, shear the stalks off, and
spew them out the back.

Do they discard the straw which is then baled by a different baler? A
regular hay baler. That seems somewhat more labor intensive than I would
have thought modern farm machines would be.

That's often not relevant. Come harvest time, the emphasis is on getting the
grain harvested and on its way to market as quickly as possible. Baling the
straw as the wheat is harvested takes time and manpower away from the much
more important task of harvesting the grain. There's plenty of time to come
back and get the straw later when the wheat is taken care of.

Two of the replies are close enough to Ky for me to accept that what I
bought from the BORG was not really all than unusual. Just something I had
I had not seem before.

Oh well the wire will come in handy for all sorts of home repairs. -

You can buy that wire by the thousand-foot spool at places like TSC.