Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Volcanic fallout?

"Dave" wrote in message
Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:35:04 +0100, Dave wrote:

The probes fill up with ash.
I very much doubt it, as there is no air flow through them. Because of
this, the ash would flow around them. We never encountered this
problem with any aircraft supplied to Saudi Arabia.
Wrong type of dust.
I had assumed that everyone knew that the desert contained sand and not
volcanic dust.

Fine, sharp, volcanic ash is not the same a smooth, weatherered,
desert dust. I would not expect it to behave in the same way.
It doesn't, it tends to turn into glass in the combustion chamber.

Only over 1600 C, I'm informed, whereas the volcanic ash melts at about
900.

I am not claiming expertise, though.

Is this (penultimate sentence) correct ?

I'm no expert on the combustion chamber, or the melting points, try asking
Dennis, he claims to know more than us.

Nowhere have I claimed that, however you have on several occasions now and
you have been wrong on all of them IIRC.

As for the melting points I don't know, however I can make an educated
guess.. the lava is dull red and is therefore about 1000C and it is molten.
However even if the ash melts at the same temp as sand it doesn't mean both
will melt if they are sucked into a jet engine, grain size and transit time
will have a significant effect.