Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Lyford Glenn Lyford is offline

Default OT Class action settlement by lying lawn mower manufacturers.

Take a look at most new mowers and tools and you will find that many are
no longer saying HP rating. They are using engine size and amp draw.

Even this can be a rabbit hole. I saw this 20 years ago with vacuums
when I worked retail. One established brand had a very good machine
they could mass produce cheaply that worked well and was efficient, I
think it used about 9A. An upstart came along with a big add campaign
and less efficient motor that drew like 12A or 13A, so the established
brand switched to rating their machine for "amps of cleaning
effectiveness" which measured the amount of dirt collected per amp and
allowed them to post a bigger number than the new guys. A bunch of
the new guys' sales weasels came in and tried to get me to push their
"obviously better" machine.

I asked them if the point of the vacuum was to spin the meter and get
the cord hot, or collect dirt? Especially since I knew that our
return department was full of the new guys' machines. They didn't
like me much...but neither did the established brand, because I'd
point out to people that the only difference between their base model
and their fancier ones was a headlight, the motor and the brushes were
the same...for another $20, did they really need a $0.50 headlight?

I make a lousy salesman, I just can't get into the whole spirit of
"mess with the little guy for your own gain"...
--Glenn Lyford