Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Volcanic fallout?

Dave wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:35:04 +0100, Dave wrote:

The probes fill up with ash.
I very much doubt it, as there is no air flow through them. Because
of this, the ash would flow around them. We never encountered this
problem with any aircraft supplied to Saudi Arabia.

Wrong type of dust.

I had assumed that everyone knew that the desert contained sand and not
volcanic dust.

well its broadly similar, but a lot more abrasive.

Both are essentially ground glass more or less, but the sand is a lot
rounder. It doesn't tend to stick together in clumps.

And, by and large, it's a lot coarser too.