Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default OT - callers at door.

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
I know this isn't DIY. Does anyone know how to deal with hawkers and such
who come to the door? I have had this three times in the last six months.
Each time these people claim they do not speak English (one occasion
claimed to be deaf!) and are toting wares ( dusters and towels) or pictures
of various kinds they want to sell me.

It scares me. I usually do not answer the door. I cannot afford to buy the
things anyway but if I get caught I am stuck. How do you deal with this?

I don't want to sound prejudiced but I noticed this when I first moved to
my house 12 years ago. Then these people disappeared and now, since the
new recession they have returned. I just don't like it. My husband must
be equally afraid because he dealt with yesterdays caller and just gave
home a fiver to go away!

I have several signs up in my window.

The first says "No sales reps, hawkers or bible bashers, thank you"

The other signs specifically relate to the TVLA, Stagecoach drivers and
political canvassers and tells them in no uncertain terms that they are not
allowed on my property.

I seldom get people knocking on my door that I do not want to knock on my
door.

Maybe you would find a door chain helpful. If you get an unwanted caller
than they cannot open the door and you can just shut it in their face. Any
foreigner or deaf person will understand that.

Adam