Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Water Feature

On 19 Apr, 14:50, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I am contemplating a water feature, probably a drilled slate
monolith about 600 mm high, surrounded by slate paddlestones.

Seen a nice one in a garden centre, spiral of old roofing slates
drilled and threaded on to a stainless pipe, slate is a nice texture
wet.

This is clearly something that is best bought by seeing it in the
flesh, but finding suitable places, even some distance away, is
proving difficult.

There are only seem to be a few basic pool types: Finia 650 or
1000, or a circular tub with galvanised grid. I think the 1000
may be overkill, but the 650 might be too small.

It is hard to judge what water flow is needed, and running an
oversize pump severely throttled doesn't sound good or efficient
practice.

Its worthy of experimentation, part of a water feature is its sound,
which can take some experimentation, the copper leafed free standing
features make a great sound, a small waterfall into a plastic
container sounds like a slow flowing sewage outlet.

Personally have slate waterfall for looks and small fountain for the
sound, fountain gives the pleasant tinkle like a flowing stream thats
difficult to replicate with a small waterfall.

I have read that pumps should be removed in winter, yet some
people apparently leave them in situ. If the supply cable is
installed underground, how is the pump taken in for the winter?

As long as pump is below ice level in reservoir should be fine,
sitting water freezing in exposed pipework more of a hazard.

Got to account for evaporation and how much water is in the system
when actually running, dont want to empty reservoir as soon as thing
starts up.

Small children are fascinated by such things, depending on view either
ensure security or put shiny objects at bottom of deepest end ;-)

Cheers
Adam

Has anybody any useful comments?

Chris