Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default how long should programmable thermostat batteries last?

On Apr 19, 5:11*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Pete C." wrote onster.com:

snip

They don't when in cooling mode, however they do when in heating mode.
In heating mode it is normal for them to engage backup electric heat
strips when the Tstat setpoint is raised more than two degrees. In
heat pump heating mode the efficiency is high, but the ability to
raise temps quickly is lower since the heat pump output temps are only
around 80-105 degrees, not the 150+ of electric heat (or combustion
heat).

Basically,what you're telling me is that heat pumps are
incompatible/impractical with setback thermostats.

Pretty much what I've found with mine. AFAIK, they're not recommended.

It seems more like a design problem with the heat pump(HP) system.
If the HP is raising the temp,albeit slowly,one should be able to opt for
no electric "boost" heat. All it means is that the circulating fan runs
longer. I recognize there may be a point where the HP cannot supply enough
heat when outside temps are very low,and thus backup heat is needed.
But the system should be sized so that is a rare event.

If it takes three or four hours to recover, there's hardly a point
setting the temperature back.