Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.guitar.effects
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Boss BCB-60 effects pedal board

Sansui Samari wrote in message
On Apr 19, 9:10 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Is there a problem with the 1/4 inch sockets on these? Especially the

input
one that must take a lot of guitar lead yanking. They are the flimsey
domestic, no name, hifi type things and used vertically at floor level so
any stage crud gets in them.
Intermittant through-signal drop and I cannot induce collectively or
individually and will have to check the internals of all 5 pedals plus
daisy-chain leads etc. Will probably change that first socket anyway,
whatever else found

I'd probably try cleaning them first with contact cleaner or alcohol.
If they feel loose, I'd change them. Check for bad/broken solder
joints. Wiggle any internal wires and check for intermittents, or high
resistances. I haven't worked on one of these, but that's my general
route when working on something of that nature. Sometimes if it's
been wet, something spilled in it... the plating can start coming off
of the contacts on cheap jacks. So maybe check for that...

lllllllllllllllllll

Although metal mounting bushes on these sockets, it discuises the fact that
all behind is flimsey plastic. The one taking the in-use strain had its tip
contact displaced outwards relative to the other one. Making contact, but
presumably not reliably under temperature change/ grime etc. I replaced both
with standard robust plastic bush sockets wired together and space made for
them , being somewhat larger. And checked the internals of the 3 out of 5
otherwise suspected pedals, and leads.

Looked inside the board output ones as well, because leads to them could
have been tripped over at some point.