Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Why do they paint 2-inch pool pipes black? (just repaired with 2" white PVC)

"Brent" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:14:44 -0400, George wrote:

The paint is to protect the PVC from the UV of the sun. White paint, (or
green or red or blue) would work just as well.

Black pigments are the most effective UV absorbers.

I wonder why they don't just sell black PVC 2" OD pipe then???

Even at Leslies' Pool Supply, they're white.

Everyone seems to just paint them.

It's cheap and easy; but I was just wondering why we don't just start out
with UV-resistant PVC pipe???

If it makes any difference mine are all still white. I don't remember seeing
any that were painted any color. That's weird that it blew up. I had my
waste valve closed one time and tried to back wash. I didn't have it on long
so it didn't do anything. I'm glad you said something because I never would
of imagined that could happen. I'll bet your motor seal goes out soon if it
isn't gone already.

I'm always afraid I'm going to do something stupid like that.