Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Both garage door opener remotes stoped working

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:15:04 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:51:15 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

And last is the most expensive. It might be the receiving unit on the
opener.

I'm not the OP but for someone else, I already know I need another
receiving unit. Are those the words I should look for?

Do I have to buy both fobs and receiving unit? Or buy a receiving
unit made for the fobs.

Or is it all universal?

I really don't know. I have never had one die. I would start by seeing if
the MFG has a website and a PDF version of the manual and parts list.
Determine what they call it.

I suspect that there is no such thing as universal. I also suspect that
with the pricing strategy currently in effect that you might be better off
replacing the opener.

Actually, I don't even have a garage door and neither does my friend,
but he bought a house that used two remotes and receiver to turn on
the house floodlights before the driver, especially his wife, gets out
of the car. In some mad cleaning moment, he threw away the receiver
when he didn't know what it was, and now needs a replacemnt.

So I ought one on ebay for 35 dollars, new, and even though the input
voltage was within the acceptable range, it burned out after a couple
uses. The vendor sent me another one for free, but the same thing
happened.

I must have done something wrong, or he had very inferior receivers,
but either way, I have to get another receiver and start again.

I still have the fobs that came with the first and second receivers,
so it would be nice if the new receiver could use its fobs and the 4
fobs he bought last year. Although first things first is to get

All the parts I have purchased in recent years are
way out of line with the retail selling price of a new anything. Changing
out an opener with one of a similar design should only take a few hours for
the average handy person. Only hand tools would be required and nothing
dangerous about it.

Colbyt