Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent[_3_] Brent[_3_] is offline

Default Why do they paint 2-inch pool pipes black? (just repaired with 2" white PVC)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:34:01 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Even at Leslies' Pool Supply, they're white.

Maybe they don't want to confuse PVC with ABS?

I think I found a clue why I need to use (white) PVC and not (black) ABS
pipe fittings in the high-pressure side of my pool plumbing!

http://www.swimming-pool-repair.net/plumbing.html
"ABS is not pressure rated for applications such as a pool plumbing sytstem
and an ABS pool system will be likely to develop leak problems
prematurely."

Also ...
"ABS pipe can be identified by its black color and the yellow glue used to
fuse the fittings to the pipe. PVC is generally white and should have a
wall thicknes of 40mm commonly refered to as schedule 40."

Since I used the "blue" glue, I wonder if it will make a difference with my
single accidental ABS fitting???