Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default re-finishing a walnut table

On 4/19/2010 2:28 PM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:

The table had been DYED with a golden
colored dye and then filled with walnut
colored pore filler. To my knowledge, that is the usual
manner of treating a dark walnut table.

I'm not in the biz but I've made numerous things of walnut. Never dyed or
stained except sap wood if I wanted it dark. In my 76 years I don't recall
ever seing *anything* of walnut that had been. Are you sure the "golden
dye" isn't just sap wood? Are you sure it is walnut and not "white walnut"
(butternut)?

I haven't done all that much work in walnut and I've never stained any of it
(nor do I think I'd be so inclined...) but it's my understanding that it's not
all that uncommon for walnut to be stained because it tends to look rather gray
and drab with simple clear finishes (particularly the water-based varieties,
which tend to be _crystal_ clear). What's always worked well for me is a few
good healthy coats of garnet shellac; that really gives walnut a deep rich color.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.