Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent[_3_] Brent[_3_] is offline

Default Why do they paint 2-inch pool pipes black? (just repaired with 2" white PVC)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:18:37 -0400, wrote:

If you cut the end and it is black in the middle, it is ABS.
That is what the solar contractors use.
Pool contractors use PVC for the regular pool plumbing.

Given that, ALL the pipes I cut were white on the inside (with purple glue
at the seams).

A single 4-inch-long sleev-like fitting I grabbed out of the miriad of
various elbow-like fittings I bought at the hardware store was black all
the way through as I had to cut it to fit.

So, given that black is ABS and white is PVC, my pool plumbing is currently
99% (white) PVC with that single fitting of (black) ABS that I used without
knowing the difference.

Now that I realize I've mixed ABS with PVC ... I wonder ... does it matter
that I have ABS accidentally mixed in with mostly PVC (painted black)?