Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent[_3_] Brent[_3_] is offline

Default Why do they paint 2-inch pool pipes black? (just repaired with 2" white PVC)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:59:17 -0400, wrote:

I wondered about this myself. Is the OP sure the original pipes
weren't ABS?

We have LOTS of sun here. All day sun.

I'm not sure if it's ABS or PVC for all the pipes, but the pipes I bought
at Home Deport say they are PVC.

What made me wonder about the black versus white was I needed a fitting and
I grabbed one that was black through and through. I mixed it in with the
white fittings and then painted the white ones.

I wonder (based on the ABS question) if that one black fitting was ABS
while the rest (the white ones) are PVC?

That makes me wonder: What's the difference from a practical standpoint for
outdoor 12-hours-a-day-in-the-sun 2-inch OD pool water pipes between black
ABS and white-painted-black PVC pipe?

Note: Leslies pool supply sold only the white PVC so maybe I should have
asked the teenager behind the counter but I didn't think of it when I was
there.