Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Stockade fence posts -- metal content indeed!

Existential Angst wrote:
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

So ahm lookin to put up 6' stockade fencing between me'n'my brain damaged
neighbors, but I sure could do without the post digging, the concrete,
and the drama.

So's I made somewhat of a discovery:

I started pounding various cross sections of metal into the dirt -- first
rebar, then a 1 1/4 plumbing pipe, then 2x2x16 ga sq tubing.

About 15 years ago I was getting ready to sell
my house. The property had a redwood fence on
the south side. The posts were set in the dirt
with no protection and had rotted off even with
the ground. Wanting some kind of quick fix, I
pounded plain old chain-link fence posts into the
ground next to the redwood posts and strapped
the two together with chain-link hardware and
lag bolts. I visited the property last year and
the fence was still holding up fine.

I used an off-the-shelf post driver and I think
I went down about 2 feet.

A post driver? Inneresting... some nice air-powered drivers:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CB4QzAMwAA

I myself will proly just use an 8# sledge, some wood on the top, and an
extree pair of hands to hold/level/guide the post as I bang away.

This is all you need. Works great and isn't that
expensive...

http://www.maximmfg.com/NewFiles/fence-post-driver.html