Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default Stockade fence posts -- metal content indeed!

What's that Lassie? You say that Existential Angst fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:04:04 -0400:

Awl --

So ahm lookin to put up 6' stockade fencing between me'n'my brain damaged
neighbors, but I sure could do without the post digging, the concrete, and
the drama.

So's I made somewhat of a discovery:

2x2 tubing just
*slices* its way in, and seems VERY strong!

Fence installing made easy!?
Has anyone done this? pro's/con's??

Now the Q is: how deep should I pound this 2x2 tubing into the dirt?
AND it will be a bitch to attach brackets to, etc, -- one of the advantages
of alum.

Opinions, idears, experiences??

I helped a friend put up some steel fencing out in Arizona.

We used drill pipe. The kind that has a male thread on one end and
female on the other, about 30' long.

We cut up the 30' to fence height +3', then pounded them into the
ground with a front end loader.

A top rail was added later and wire fencing stretched along the
outside.

The 'dirt' was like hard packed silt out there, I think they call it
calieche.

If your dirt is softer, weld some "fins" to your tubing to grab more
dirt just below the surface. Look at "T" posts for what the fins
might look like.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.