Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Electrical Code question

Tony wrote:
Twayne wrote:
In news typed:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:45:18 -0400, Tony
wrote:

bud-- wrote:
A separate building requires a disconnect at that
building (225.31). The required disconnect can be up to 6
breakers in the panel (225.33-A). I agree with you.

Would you believe that when running a 200 amp feed from
the transformer to my new garage it goes directly from the
transformer to the inside panel main breaker. There is no
disconnect, not even a meter to pull since my usage is
measured with a "current meter" on the pole with the
transformer. (I could pull the meter and still have
power) My brother, a licensed electrician in FL couldn't
believe it. I even asked the pre work inspector if I
needed a disconnect and he asked where the panel will be.
I showed him it would be directly on the other side of the
block wall. He said if it's only going through the wall,
that I don't have to worry about a disconnect. The main
breaker is right there 1' away. My brother wired it for
me, but he said next time he visits (could be years) that
he is going to add an outside disconnect.

Here in the backwoods of TN. I'm certain the inspector is
on 2008? (newest?) code, but he just forgot what he was
doing.

The meter is not considered a disconnect and there is no NEC
requirement for an outside disconnect.

It says
"The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a
readily accessible location either outside of a building or
structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the
service conductors." (NEC 2008)
They do not specify how far inside the "nearest point" is.
Some AHJs say back to back, other go as far as 5-6 feet.

Your local zoning office is going to know what parts of the NEC and
what its own additions to those might be, so they are the place to
check with, not here. If you're talking to an actual inspector, one
that might actually inspect your own wiring, then he's going to be
telling you what's necessary whether it's only the NEC or whether
they've added their own requirements on top of that. e.g. like,
requiring an outside quick disconnect vs what the NEC says. Remember,
the NEC is only minimum requirements, not necessarily ALL of the
requirements.

I suppose where my brother operates his electrical business they have a
common local code for an outside disconnect and he is just used to doing
it so mine looked odd to him.

A zoning office for electrical code questions?

It is likely your installation meets the codes. Your NEC required
service disconnect is in the panel in the garage.

It would be uncommon here to not have a meter installed on the garage,
but the utility can meter at their end. Here anything over 400A would
use "current transformers". Removing the meter on a 3000A service would
do nothing.

--
bud--