Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Musical wood (Is that "Timber" or Timbre?)

On 4/18/10 12:20 PM, dadiOH wrote:
marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
I just did a google search for building a xylophone and got several
potential links. Just curious if any of you had ever constructed any
percussion musical instruments from wood. I have been intrigued by
the sounds made by the various tropical woods I've worked with and
though about whipping one up from the scraps. It does not need to be
tonally correct (Not Ruth Underwood approved) but if anyone has any
suggestions or hands on experience I'd appreciate your feedback.
Marc

Do marimbas count? I used to live in Veracruz and marimbas were all over
the place.

Essentially the same thing.
Marimbas are generally lower octaves and have longer resonant tubes.

I never examined one closely but the "keys" appeared to be mahogany. Might
have been cedro (Spanish cedar) though...mahogany seemed to be used more
like we use Home Depot 2x4s, cedro for doors etc.

Yeppers. The real stuff, like you'd have found there, is very hard and
dense... and like you said, about as common as Maple, here.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--