Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Stockade fence posts -- metal content indeed!

Awl --

So ahm lookin to put up 6' stockade fencing between me'n'my brain damaged
neighbors, but I sure could do without the post digging, the concrete, and
the drama.

So's I made somewhat of a discovery:

I started pounding various cross sections of metal into the dirt -- first
rebar, then a 1 1/4 plumbing pipe, then 2x2x16 ga sq tubing.

The rebar was so-so -- too thin, really, to be stable in dirt, but wow, the
plumbing pipe is pretty strong and easy to bang in, and the 2x2 tubing just
*slices* its way in, and seems VERY strong!

Fence installing made easy!?
Has anyone done this? pro's/con's??

Now the Q is: how deep should I pound this 2x2 tubing into the dirt? I
read somewhere recently that posts should be buried a depth = to the fence
height?? That seems extreme.....
Altho pounding 2x2x16 ga tubing 6 feet, extrapolating from the approx 2 feet
I did, doesn't seem like it will be a biggie, assuming I don't hit rocks,
etc.

I've also read depths of mebbe two feet with concrete, but that seems like
there would be a crowbar effect, esp.in a good wind.

I'm debating various sizes: 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and materials, alum vs. steel.
The alum will be 1/8 wall, ergo more pounding to bury it, but still proly
workable. And of course much more resistant to corrosion.

I've got a fair amount of 2x2x16 ga SS tubing, that I'll proly never use,
but using it for fence posts would proly leave me unable to sleep at night,
AND it will be a bitch to attach brackets to, etc, -- one of the advantages
of alum.

Opinions, idears, experiences??

--
EA