Posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y
Bernard Peek Bernard Peek is offline

Default New Laptop - which flavour of Windows? (and other issues)

On 18/04/10 15:43, BillW50 wrote:

Is that after you disabled the UAC I think it is called? I was just
visiting my sister yesterday and I was trying to get her WiFi to work.
And when all fails, RTFM right? So I opened up a PDF file and it
complained that Adobe Reader 7 was known to have issues with this
version of Windows. Well that is great it warns you about this I guess.

But I ignored the warning and opened the document anyway. Everything
worked fine for me. But isn't it a given if an older version of an
application doesn't work well with a newer OS, it is time to check for
updates? Why do we need our hand held and to be reminded of this over
and over again?

UAC is one of the best new features in Windows and I don't recommend
disabling it. A significant fraction of Windows machines are compromised
because users do dumb things. If you keep running into UAC under W7 you
should rethink how you are using the computer. It's a little too
aggressive in Vista but W7 fixes that.

And from a recent update, Microsoft can now remotely disable your
Windows 7 at anytime they want to if you are connected to the Internet.
The user doesn't even control their own OS anymore.

That's been true since automated patching was invented.

--
Bernard Peek