Posted to uk.d-i-y
~misfit~[_2_] ~misfit~[_2_] is offline

Default New Laptop - which flavour of Windows? (and other issues)

Somewhere on teh intarwebs The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 05:13:31 -0500, BillW50 wrote:

And clicking on all of those safety prompts are also a big
waste of time.

Then turn them off.

OS like Vista and Windows 7 works differently than previous OS. As
before, you controlled the OS. But under Vista and Windows 7 does
just the opposite. As they control the user.

Only if the user lets them...

Windows 7 is the least worst since XP. Had to upgrade because I'll be
teaching it at work. Not that I use it very much at all.

It's faster than Vista, easier to use, less obstructive.

So say its fans. I spent nearly 1/4 hr trying to stop it doing things
I didn't want every time my mouse wandered somewhere or I hit the
wrong key.
Shades of that dreadful paper clip thing in Office.

I suppose that's why I like Linux. I have to spend the time turning on
stuff I WANT, not turning off stuff that I don't.

Same with the Mac, it comes with far too much stuff enabled on it.
Its a bloody walking advert, not a computer fit for work.

What worries me is that, according to a friend who works in IT looking after
a few business' machines, you can't run 7 with the 'Windows Classic'
interface that I always use for any XP installs. (I avoided Vista but
suspect that I'll have to embrace 7 one day.)

I like the clean and simple classic interface. No bells and whistles, just
an OS. I'd actually been considering moving to 7 fairly soon until I heard
that it's no longer an option. Now I'll delay for as long as is possible.
--
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson