Posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y
BillW50 BillW50 is offline

Default New Laptop - which flavour of Windows? (and other issues)

In
,
NT typed on Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:15:30 -0800 (PST):
[...]
I know I sound like a broken record on this, but seriously all these
concerns and many more are non-issues if you try Ubuntu. Linux has a
poor usability reputation, but ubuntu is the distro that's really
changed that. It costs nothing to try, and if for some reason you
still want to get windows you can buy it if and when you find linux
isnt what you want. The days of linux being only for geeks are
history.

NT

You must be easy to please. As I find all flavors of Linux as a very
poor substitute to replace Windows with. I've used Linux for a number of
years. And even Ubuntu is just awful when it comes to playing multimedia
files. As Ubuntu needs three times the processor power just to play the
dang files compared to Windows on the same machine. And support for many
file types are just awful! I actually like my Palm OS far more than I
like Linux. And my favorite version of Linux is Xandros. At least it
actually works, unlike Ubuntu. But it still doesn't work as well as
Windows XP.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2