Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark mark is offline

Default Volcanic fallout?

"Dave" wrote in message
Vortex5 wrote:
"Dave Starling" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 3:36 pm, "Graham." wrote:
First saw it on my car last Tuesday. Before it was on the news, and
planes were flying normally.
I mistook it for Saharan sand. (I'm in Manchester)

Anyone taking bets on when flights will resume? I'm saying not before
end of Thursday, but what if lasted weeks/years? According to
wikipedia the last eruption in 1821 lasted two years. Would/could we
survive without taking any flights around Europe for two years? This
is a more interesting discussion than the general election!

Dave

I found his rather nifty web site shows all commercial aircraft flying
across Europe in real time: http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

It's a bit tempremental (probably server overload) but press F5 a few
times and it will come up. Works best for me in Firefox.

Some fantastic photos of the eruption he
http://www.millhouse.nl/eyjafjallajokull2010.html

I saw that helicopter in front of the crater on the TV news. How come that
could be so close (and presumably another helicopter with the cameraman) yet
all other aircraft within a 1000 mile radius grounded.

mark