Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Volcanic fallout?

Dave Starling wrote:
On Apr 17, 3:36 pm, "Graham." wrote:
First saw it on my car last Tuesday. Before it was on the news, and planes were flying normally.
I mistook it for Saharan sand. (I'm in Manchester)

Anyone taking bets on when flights will resume? I'm saying not before
end of Thursday,

You could be right. The problem is not the eruption itself, but the
direction of the jet stream, which is carrying the dust south and east
from Iceland. That general trend is expected to continue until Thursday,
although the jet stream will be weakening. By Friday, the flow over
Iceland should be weak but Easterly. By next Saturday, it will be
strengthening again, but flowing North West, which may cause problems
for Scandinavia and Russia, but should no longer affect Britain or
central Europe.

Colin Bignll