Dave Balderstone

Default Looking for opinions on mid-size woodturning tools

In article , Andy Dingley
wrote:

Why not an oval ?

Mostly based on some of the recommendations I've read on
rec.crafts.woodturning, and some of my own experience. I bought an oval
and have found it rather "ornery", lots of catches... My flat skew,
OTOH, I've found much easier to get along with.

That said, I've been practicing a lot with the oval, and I'm almost
starting to like the sumbitch. But it was a bear to get going with.

Diamond parter is worth having.

I have to add a diamond parter to my collection. BTW, what's your
opinion of a bedan? I picked up a Sorby 3/8" a while back and have
played with it, but it was an impulse buy and I don't really know where
it's best used.

Spent a bit of time with my 13 yo daughter at the lathe today. She
turned a Christmas tree out of a piece of elm I had kicking around, as
a gift for SWMBO. I love the fact that she's so interested in turning.

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"