Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Electrical Code question

bud-- wrote:

A separate building requires a disconnect at that building (225.31).
The required disconnect can be up to 6 breakers in the panel (225.33-A).
I agree with you.

Would you believe that when running a 200 amp feed from the transformer
to my new garage it goes directly from the transformer to the inside
panel main breaker. There is no disconnect, not even a meter to pull
since my usage is measured with a "current meter" on the pole with the
transformer. (I could pull the meter and still have power) My brother,
a licensed electrician in FL couldn't believe it. I even asked the pre
work inspector if I needed a disconnect and he asked where the panel
will be. I showed him it would be directly on the other side of the
block wall. He said if it's only going through the wall, that I don't
have to worry about a disconnect. The main breaker is right there 1'
away. My brother wired it for me, but he said next time he visits
(could be years) that he is going to add an outside disconnect.

Here in the backwoods of TN. I'm certain the inspector is on 2008?
(newest?) code, but he just forgot what he was doing.