Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Attaching cedar baseboard to drywall [problem]

Nick Aron wrote:
Hello All,

I have a problem with some cedar baseboard. We got it straight from a
mill. It took us 2 days to sand and tint 30 meters of it.

The problem is that the wood either came with or has developed a
slight bend. The bends range in all directions and in almost all
pieces (a couple are straight).

The main issue I have right now is that these are not going into
concrete walls like the rest of my house they are going into drywall
so I acquired a tube of a no nails type of glue. The problem is though
that I can't force the baseboard into the correct position without
securing it with something.

Here are some options i've thinking about:

- Nail some finishing nails to the bottom rail that runs on the floor
(1/4" is used up by the floor though) and use the glue.

- Nail long steel nails through the drywall and into the concrete wall
behind it (possible on 3 walls and all the stairs) ofcourse glue would
be applied as well.

- Glue a section of the baseboard. Leave it for a couple hours and
then come back and glue the next part, etc. This could potentially
take an eternity.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Nick

Here's the trick if the floor is not level:

* Cut the baseboard to the correct length and prop it up against the wall.
* Open a school-compass to the widest gap seen and draw a line using the
floor as the guide.
* Cut - or sand - the bottom of the baseboard to match the line.