Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Electrical Code question

Robert Olin wrote:
I'm building a well house/shop. It is about 150' from where the main house
will be.
It will have a subpanel that will be fed from the main panel at the house.
I will be running 6/3 with ground from the house to the well house.
I have an electrician friend who said the inspector made them install a main
breaker in a subpanel they just did and made them put a hold down screw in
it.

But it is my understanding that you don't need a main breaker if it has 6 or
less breakers in the panel. Mine will have just 4.

Thanks,
Bob

A separate building requires a disconnect at that building (225.31).
The required disconnect can be up to 6 breakers in the panel (225.33-A).
I agree with you.

When a breaker is backfed it must be "secured in place" (408.36-D).
Otherwise the breaker could become unplugged with exposed hot breaker
bus connections. This probably must be supplied by the manufacturer. For
SquareD breakers there is a block that is screwed to the mounting rail.
Your friend used a hold down screw.

--
bud--