Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Code question

On Apr 16, 8:49*am, keith wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:14*am, "Robert Olin" wrote:

I'm building a well house/shop. *It is about 150' from where the main house
will be.
It will have a subpanel that will be fed from the main panel at the house.
I will be running 6/3 with ground from the house to the well house.
I have an electrician friend who said the inspector made them install a main
breaker in a subpanel they just did and made them put a hold down screw in
it.

But it is my understanding that you don't need a main breaker if it has 6 or
less breakers in the panel. *Mine will have just 4.

When I built a garage (previous house) the inspector required a
breaker at both ends of the line to the sub-panel (in both the main
and sub-panels). *I bought a standard panel for the sub and just
installed a normal breaker and fed it "backwards" (electrons don't
care). *I did have to mark the breaker "MAIN". *Easy, cheap, and no
problems with the inspector.

Did the same myself. Works fine.