Andy Dingley

Default Looking for opinions on mid-size woodturning tools

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:44:20 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

You don't need to buy a huge set to get him started.

Agreed.

A skew (not an oval skew if he's new to turning),

Why not an oval ?

I use a couple of skews (repeated for different sizes too). One is an
oval - very much a near-round oval. The other is a flat skew, just
with the corners rounded off to stop it catching. I use both
differently, and I wouldn't be without either.

The oval skew is for general turning, and particularly for rolling
beads. I'm no turner and I find rolling a narrow bead difficult with a
square-cornered skew, or even most "oval" ovals.

The flat skew is for turning long cylindrical spindles. With a wide
flat surface, I get better support from the toolrest and I avoid digs.
Rounding the edges avoids catching on any roughness in the toolrest,
when I slide it along.

I can understand recommending against an oval for cylindrical turning,
but equally I wouldn't recommend a flat skew to a beginner who is
trying to do their first beads.

a parting tool,

Diamond parter is worth having.
--