Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Self charging cell phone battery

I suppose you don't want to hear about my gasoline engine-
powered hard disk drive?

Does it meet EPA specs?

The original pager was Motorola H04ANC (all germanium).

Really? Perhaps for the RF transistors, but not the rest of the device.

I'm fairly sure the H03ANC pager was all germanium xsistors. I don't
have a manual for it to check. I think (not sure) that the next
model, the Pageboy I, was all germanium, but I'll have to check the
manual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Pageboy
I know the associated walkie talkie, the HT200, was all germanium,
because I worked on enough of them. I should also have a manual for
the HT200.

I could be wrong, but my memory is that germanium transistors were "dead and
gone" by the early 70s. Certainly they'd disappeared in audio equipment.
Germanium devices had higher carrier mobility, so at that time (I believe)
they offered better performance at VHF and higher frequencies. (This pager
was UHF.)

Is there really such a thing as a rechargeable mercury battery?

I still have one or two tube type walkie talkies from that era.
Pencil tubes are fun.
http://home.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/penciltubes.html

One of my uncles had an earphone-only "very-large-pocket" radio that used
two of these.