Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default plastic eyeglass frames

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

On 2010-04-15, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Do it the right way... Go to an optician and have them find a frame which
matches closely to your lenses. They can make them fit, especially if the
frame is a wire-based frame.

I've considered that, Wayne. Problem is, finding a similar frame.
Eyeglass frames are fashion driven and the current fashion is that
squinty narrow frame like old 80s biker glasses. My lenses are much
wider vertically. I recently went to a local mom/pop op shop and
asked about aviator style frames. They acted like they'd been gut
shot! How gauche of me.

I had that problem this year. Granny glasses don't make very good bi-focals.
I really need full-size lenses to seen the entire screen(s) without moving my
head. Only one pair of frames in our vision plan was large enough to put a
decent set of lenses in and they sucked. The optician didn't have an other
decent ones to choose from either. I got the crappy pair and then had another
set of lenses made for my older frames. Hopefully styles will change by the
time I need another set of glasses.

Same issues I ran into- only my old frames were shot (screw holes
wallowed out and stripped), so new lenses for those was not an option. I
have them wired together, fishing-fly style, as my emergency backups now.

I really need to get online, and get some minature bolts and nuts (like
I used to be able to buy at the local hobby shop before it closed), and
make some through-bolts for all the old worn-out glasses I have laying
around. Almost as nerdy as patching old birth-control plastic frames
with friction tape, I realize, but has been effective in the past.

--
aem sends....