Posted to alt.home.repair
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Adding air

On Apr 15, 2:19*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 05:57:04 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Apr 15, 7:02*am, wrote:
On Apr 13, 6:19*pm, mm wrote:

Window ACs work better when you don't waste a window on
them. *Most
come with optional cases meant for going through a wall, but
you might
not need even that.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:40:41 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Window AC draw air in the sides, to dump the heat out the
back. If you put them in a metal sleeve, they stop working.

Then why do they make metal sleeves for them? *Why do apartments come
with metal sleeves already installed, waiting for ACs to be bought?

Why do motels always have their ACs in the metal sleeves? *I'm sure
the motel AC worked. *It's longer ago, but I'm sure my brother's
apartment AC also worked.

I'd have to take a closer look, but doesn't enough of the AC unit
stick out past the metal sleve so that the air intake fins are past
the sleve and outside? *Or alternatively, the sleeve could be wide
enough so that there is an inch or so clearance on either side. * In
any case, they must work because they are common.- Hide quoted text -

What would you do in this situation? Just not fool with it? I could
ger some fans I guess.

Since in other threads you are talking about insulation and an attic
you have the same options as you would have in most homes.

In Florida with poorly insulated houses, big windows and lots of sun
they usually use a quick rule of thumb as a ton (12,000 BTU) per 500
sq ft.
With no windows and R-11 insulation in the walls (3.5" fiberglass
batts) you should be OK with a ton and a half.
The Bard wall hanger somebody mentioned is an option. That is the tall
package style unit you see hanging on the side of a building. Another
option is a regular split system with the Air handler hanging in the
attic or below the ceiling near the center *with some duct work
distributing the air to the ends of the building.

Are you planning on installing this yourself, do you have a buddy in
the trade or are you just calling someone?
Other choices are the package unit on the ground with ductwork similar
to the split system. This can be DIY since you are just supplying the
ducts and the power. It comes fully charged and ready to go in that
"package", or the big mini-split which may not be the best air mover
but it is the easiest to do and they sell DIY setups for the mini.
Move the air with some fans.- Hide quoted text -

I will be doing this myself. I found a guy that has a Bryant 2 ton
2005 model that will deliver it for 500 dollars. How much shoudl I
expect to pay in ductwork?